Monday, June 3, 2013

Sleeping In The Forest

The poem "Sleeping In The Forest" by Mary Oliver was quoted in our guest book by a visitor.  Poems can be interpreted in infinite ways of course, but I think the point in this case for me personally, because it has such truth for me, is that being at Treetop Mountain Vista is about as close to sleeping on the earth in the middle of a lush forest as it gets.  So please enjoy:
Sleeping in the Forest, by Mary Oliver
I thought the earth remembered me,
She took me back so tenderly
Arranging her skirts
Her pockets full of lichens and seeds.
I slept as never before
A stone on the riverbed,
Nothing between me and the white fire of the stars,
But my thoughts.
And they floated light as moths
Among the branches of the perfect trees.
All night I heard the small kingdoms
Breathing around me.
The insects and the birds
Who do their work in darkness.
All night I rose and fell,
As if water, grappling with luminous doom.
By morning I had vanished at least a dozen times
Into something better. 
Thank You Nancy!  Nina  4/25/13

No comments: